Sunday, February 15, 2015

I have neglected someone very important!

Someone very special came to the hospital to visit Maisie today.

Even though she has remained a large part of Maisie's life, I have neglected to mention her in the blog.

I feel terrible about this, because she has played such a major role in Maisie's life. Without her, I have little doubt that Maisie would suffer from some of the same medical PTSD that so many kids who spend too much time in hospitals struggle with.

And especially because the work she's been doing is so incredibly selfless and, at eleven years old, this special kid is changing oncology and maybe even saving lives.

I owe her a lot. We owe her a lot.

Can you guess who I'm talking about?

I'll give you a hint.

She lives in Baltimore, Maryland.

She's been fighting bone cancer for six years, but has been in remission for a year and a half.

Can you guess yet?

Okay, I'll just tell you!

It's Kaitlynn!

Wow! I can't believe we haven't seen her in so long!!

Maisie is PSYCHED!

These girls have known each other since Maisie was a year old and Kaitlynn was seven. Kaitlynn looks fabulous. She's put some meat on her bones and grown like three feet since I last saw her. She's all grown-up and gorgeous.

When Kate's mom called me over the weekend to ask if they could visit, I was worried that it might be hard for Maisie to see Kaitlynn so strong and healthy while she herself was so sick.

I needn't have worried. Once again, Maisie has proven that she is above such petty things as illness and outward appearance.

Kaitlynn has been doing exceptionally well. After her initial diagnosis with bone cancer in her left foot at five, she developed mets in her left leg and through her intestines. She's come through eight rounds of chemo, fourteen surgeries, and come dangerously close to having her foot amputated.

She's a miracle girl.

She's been in Tennessee working with St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, where her body and her story are being used to study oncology and figure out what it is about this particular kid that beat cancer in a way that no one else ever has. I don't have any more details than that, unfortunately, but I know that Kaitlynn has sacrificed a lot to partake in the study, as have her parents.

I don't know how long she'll be around, her schedule is dictated pretty much completely by the hospital. She was given roughly two weeks off from "working," but she might be called back to Tennessee sooner or later. Right now what matters is that she is here, and Maisie has her best friend back.

(Speaking of Maisie, I will post a medical update soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment